Expected Air Date: 7/23/18
What are the guiding principles you use in your investing activity? We all think about returns, but do you consider other data points as well? Ok, some of you right now are asking, “what other data points?” If you are looking at a property to buy and hold and you are only looking at cash flow or only looking at capitalization rate, or only looking at net income, you are not looking far enough. Even if you are considering all three of those, and they ARE separate numbers btw, there is much more to consider. You need to think about the area, the past trends, the future projections, infrastructure, employment opportunities, and much more.
So you need data. If you listen to the show much you know that our analysis is data driven. And we look behind the data for assumptions, theoretical models, and the methods used to combine data to reach conclusions. I realize that not all of you listening to this show can be that much of a nerd. It’s ok. We get our hands a little nerdy around here sometimes so we can help you make the best decision possible. That means we have sources for our data. One of our favorites is Attom Data Solutions. Coming up in a few minutes I have Daren Blomquist, Executive VP for Attom Data and we are going to bless your life with a little data talk.
Now before you turn this off and switch over to yet another rerun of Gilligan’s Island or Big Bang Theory, let me tell you a few things we are going to be talking about. Attom data is the same company formerly known as RealtyTrac.com. That means they are experts on foreclosure data. We will talk about that. Want to know about crime rates in a prospective area? How about information about the particular property and its history? They’ve got those. Want to know what a neighborhood is like? Income level, percentage of college grads, crime rate, and more? They have it. Want some juicy stats on investor activities? Done. How about a list of distressed or potentially stressed properties? Where do you think the list brokers get theirs? Yeah – go straight to the source and we are going to tell you how. We are going to tell you how to get your hands on their Bi Annual Report on Single Family Rental Home prices. And you don’t want to miss this part — in the last segment I ask Mr. Blomquist to look into his crystal ball and tell us what he sees happening with housing prices and the markets. His answer is coming up!
With RealtyTrac since 2001, Daren Blomquist has been instrumental in many facets of the company’s business as it has transformed into the industry leader it is today. In addition to being one of the company’s longest-term employees, Daren is RealtyTrac’s primary media spokesperson and resident go-to expert on foreclosure statistics and trends.
Daren is also managing editor of the company’s monthly newsletter, the Foreclosure News Report, which was named the “Nation’s Best Newsletter” by the National Association of Real Estate Editors, and is directly responsible for the creation of the company’s U.S. foreclosure market and sales reports, which are cited by thousands of media outlets nationwide — including all the major news networks and leading publications such as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and USA TODAY.
How to Reach us
Twitter and Instagram @FlippingAmerica
We now have a profile at houzz.com for what it’s worth.
Call our National Comment Line: 404-369-1018, ext 1. Leave your message or your question.
- Lunch with me every Wednesday.
- Flipping America App is in the app store. You can listen to the show, read the show notes, and the entire catalog of shows is now available to you. It’s a free download and there are no upsells or in-app purchases. Free to download, free to listen. Go ahead and give it a try and drop me a line and let me know what you think.
- Want a quick analytical tool to tell you how strong a potential fix and flip deal is? Download the Property Grade app. You answer 10 simple questions about the property and the app instantly tells you what you can expect to make, your return on investment, your return on cash, and then the program gives the project a letter grade using the proprietary Flipping America Investment Property Grade algorithm.
Guest: Daren Blomquist
Check out the Neighborhood Index.
Look up Flip Transaction Data
Read the Bi-Annual Report on Single Family Rental Home Prices
Topic: Flash in the Pan
Flash in the Pan: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/flash-in-the-pan.html
Comment Line calls and Questions
Call 404-369-1018, press 1 and leave your message!
Emails: Questions@flippingamericaradio.com Tell us where you’re from!
- Alissa, Grand Rapids MI, “What do you do for security in your fix and flips? I have one in a marginal area and I’m a bit worried about materials left on site and basically the house itself.”
Motivational Thoughts for the day
- “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” -Confucious.